Thank you to everyone who was part of PCLS Lunar New Year and 50th Years Celebration last Sunday.
I’m very proud to see that our teachers, TAs, students, and volunteers were so engaged to make such a remarkable event. Parents also play critical roles from preparation to the performance – thank you for your support. This is an awesome team work for the whole PCLS community. We’re consolidating pictures and videos from this event. I will share the links to our community soon.
Lantern Festival (元宵節) is tomorrow, 2/8 (The 15th day of the first lunar month). This festival traditionally marks the end of the Lunar New Year (Spring Festival) period. Click 2020 Taiwan Lantern Festival to see 2020 Taiwan Lantern Festival
Gifts for PCLS families: The Culture Center of TECO in New York (紐約華僑文教服務中心) gave us some DIY lanterns when they attended our event on 2/2. There will be 50 DIY “Year of the Rat” lanterns available at the cafeteria this Sunday. We also have some small hand santizers to give away. One gift per family and first come, first serve.
Thanks to our PR, James Kin, PCLS event on 2/2 was on World Journal (世界日報). Check the link. https://www.worldjournal.com/6768507/
For those families paid for the CNY dinner, please see our chairperson, Anne Woo, to get your money back.
Messages from the Academic Director, Molly Yang
- Dictionary Usage Contest will be held on 2/23, from 1:30 – 2:20 PM. Check In time is 1:15 pm on 2/23. Attached please find Contest information. The deadline to register this contest with the below link is 2/16. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScuI2ejVZG6sEfNIorDG1aBiQx45dyAnhqDBCiv9nZZjYD4-Q/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1
Messages from the Culture Director, Ya-Ping Su
Stay tuned for registration information for various competitions. Details will be provided in a seperate email from Principal.
3 Food Vendors this week
* 1:30 PoHaiTsu frozen dumplings (渤海村)
* 1:30 LinGong (林宮）various food items
* 2:00 Stella’s bubble tea, sweet soup (紅豆湯/銀耳湯), Sushi 壽司 and New Year Cookies (過年餅乾)
Other IMPORTANT information for PCLS families:
(1) SAT mock test exclusively for PCLS students and TAs
Quarkerbridge Learning Center will have a SAT mock test event (see attached flyer). There are two sessions: a mock test and an explanation session. The owner is a PCLS former parent and she graciously reserves 10 seats with discount price ($25 for two sessions) to benefit our PCLS community. If you’re interested, please EMAIL me the following information: Name, Parent/Guardian Names, Home address, School Name, Grade, Age, Sex, Email, Cell #. Then pay $25 cash to the principal or academic director to complete your registration. PCLS will collect the info and money to register for all our students. Registration deadline: 2/23.
(2) Health Updates about coronavirus (2019-nCoV). PCLS has been in close discussion with PDS, other Taiwan-based Chinese schools in East coast, and an epidemiologist from the NJ state department of health. As of this writing, there are no confirmed cases of coronavirus infection in New Jersey. Health experts continue to advise that the risk to our community and others is very low. Should they reassess the risk, we will definitely reassess our practices and recommendations.
Our highest priority is keeping our community safe, healthy, educational, and informed and we will continue to act cautiously and provide updates as necessary. PDS has enhanced cleaning protocols across the school. In the meantime, PCLS will again addree the reminders to our parents in the attached file (PCLS_Health_Update_0207.docx) – Please READ it. CDC is taking proactive preparedness precautions and provides regular updates, which we are watching closely.
(3) Two Chinese New Year events held by Princeton University and Princeton Library on 2/8 (Saturday) are proceeding as normal. Attached flyers are just for your reference.
It’s everyone’s responsibility to keep PCLS a safe, happy and educational environment.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Justine Hsieh 謝嘉文
Princeton Chinese Language School, Principal